If you are charged with a DUI in Massachusetts, you risk the chance of it going on your driving and criminal record for life.

It can have a long-lasting effect on your criminal record, therefore, impacting your career, insurance cost, and other important factors. The exact amount of time
varies for each state. 

How Long Do Points Stay On Your Driving Record?

In the state of Massachusetts, after being convicted of or found responsible of a major traffic law violation you are penalized by receiving 5 points on your driving record for 6 years. This can be caused by criminal violations, such as operating under the influence (OUI) of alcohol or drugs, leaving the scene of an accident, or refusing to stop for a police officer.

These points are administered after receiving a DUI conviction or program assignment and are seen in numerous areas of your records.

Your first DUI will appear on your criminal record for life. You can request to have this “sealed” from your record. By contacting a lawyer, you can discuss your case and options.

How To Check Driving Record

Any person can request their driving or RMV records on Mass.gov where driving histories, crash reports, and criminal or civil offenses are easily accessed. You can request your history or someone else's. The public driving record is a complete look at a driver license holder's driving career in Massachusetts, there are 2 types to choose from.

The first type of driving record is an unattested public driving record used for personal or informational purposes. Then there is the true and attested public driving record used for official and/or court purposes, carrying the signature of the Registrar of Motor Vehicles. The latter applies to DUI/OUI cases in the court of law.

Does A Warning Go On Your Driving Record?

Often, instead of receiving demerit points, Massachusetts gives what are considered Surchargeable Incidents. Motor vehicle violations and at-fault accidents are considered surchargeable incidents and, in most cases, will appear on your driving record. Official warnings may affect certain parts of your case. These events can sometimes lead to license suspension. Consult with your attorney to determine whether or not an official warning will have a serious impact on your license records.

Is A DUI A Misdemeanor?

A first and second offense for a DUI is a misdemeanor in the state of Massachusetts.

First-offense DUI convictions carry a jail sentence of up to two and a half years. Second-offense DUIs lead to heavier penalties and punishments. Just because you are charged does not mean you will receive the maximum sentences. An experienced attorney will be able to represent you during your case and could help you avoid punishments altogether.

A third or subsequent DUI conviction is a felony. This could seriously impact your ability to get a job, remain employed, vote, and more. Having an attorney early on can help reduce your risk of conviction.

Learn more about misdemeanor and felony DUIs at our blog.

Long-Term Consequences Of A DUI On Your Record

The long-term consequences after receiving a DUI charge can cause significant stress of many aspects in a person's life. The consequences of a DUI/OUI can be long-lasting for both you and your loved ones. Examples of long-term consequences of a DUI on your record include:

  • Negative impact on employment and background checks
  • Increased insurance rates
  • Damage to professional and personal relationships
  • Impacts scholarships and schooling

Work with your attorney to ensure that they have everything they need to defend you in your case.

Employment And Background Checks

When you are convicted of a DUI, it will appear on your criminal record. Employers are permitted to run a background check on future employees applying to their organization. They can access records from the government or a third-party company that specializes in this. If you have a DUI, it will appear on the background check report.

Insurance Rates

Massachusetts is one of the strictest states to punish for DUIs. The average auto insurance rate increase after a DUI in the U.S. is 72 percent; in Massachusetts, the average is 96 percent. Once you are charged a DUI, you are automatically placed in the category of a high-risk driver.

Professional And Personal Relationships

Being charged with a DUI can impact your career and personal life in many ways. Employers can review your criminal record and if you do want a new job, you may not pass a background check. Financially, emotionally, and personally, your life is affected by this legal charge.

Scholarships And Schooling

Because the DUI charge is on your criminal record, you run the risk of losing your school scholarship or grant. If you are applying for student aid, it could be denied. In more severe cases, expulsion can be a possibility at your institution.

How Can I Avoid A DUI Going On My Record?

In Massachusetts, your first offense DUI will stay on your criminal record for life. You may request to have this charge sealed.


Question: How long can you go to jail on your first DUI offense?
Answer: 2 to ½ years. Read more about first DUI offenses here.

Question: Does the registry ever deny the suspension request?
Answer: Typically, the RMV will support the police officer's decision to suspend driving privileges on immediate threat suspension requests.

Question: How can you lose your driving privileges in Massachusetts?
Answer: Surchargeable incidents (7 especially), habitual traffic offender, breathalyzer test refusal, OUI/DUI, out-of-state suspensions, motor vehicle violations, etc.

Question: What is a hardship license?
Answer: In general, a hardship license is a license that can be used for any purpose 7 days a week but is limited to twelve (12) hours a day.

Question: What is the cost of a hardship license?
Answer: Generally, the costs per suspension range from $100.00 to $1,200.00.

Back to Blog
Logo media

Free Case EvaluationGet Help Now

This field is required.
This field is required.
This field is required.
This field is required.
Logo media
Accessibility: If you are vision-impaired or have some other impairment covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to using this website, please contact our Accessibility Manager at 978-504-2673.
Contact Us